The project is temporary ceased development. The original owner is working on other stuff.
Whenever I open up the nGene editor, I get one of two things. Either it displays an error message because a camera wasn't created (and if I create a camera nothing changes), or if it does create a camera, It runs extremely slowly and constantly crashes. Does anyone know how to fix this?
i discovered this project some times ago, and i am very happy to see that it still alive, maintained and on the track :)
now i have some questions :
- is there any paging mechanism for terrain that allow very large terrains for flight sim apps applications types ?
- what is the meshes format used by the engine and is there any way to export from blender ?
- is there a tree/grass support in the engine/editor that allow to make regions of vegetation for example ?
- any plan to add volumetric clouds system ?
btw i will play with the sdk and toolset tonight and comeback very soon
thanks and good day ?
I ever did in the first lesson, but has got such error:
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file "nGENE.lib"
Thanks in advance
wtoman (the main developer) is currently busy with his work and studies, but I am sure he will be working on this very soon as one of his Master thesis is about Game Engine and we will see some improvement on this. The concept behind this engine is pretty solid, but lack of developer to further enhance this. I am sure in very near future this may change. I am also looking forward to this project to move forward. :)
Project is live?
Whats in next version?
Thats awesome wtoman. Shall await for this update :)
Any chance to see this update anytime soon? BTW I am just curious, what would be in Version 0.2? I mean the roadmap for 0.2.
This week I commited a few bug fixes and small improvements. At the moment I plan work on the nGENE for the next few months.
I also added new tutorial: materials list describing currently implemented materials and effects. The list will be more detailed and will include all materials very soon (maybe I will add screenshots too).
Yes, we should at least have a small donation box in the event people do donate however unlikely it may be. I will start donate a bit as a start. But we may need to start to get more people to be interested in this project and not let this project die off. I just hope more active development on this.
Indeed this might be a good idea :) However, I'm not sure if there will be many people eager to donate :)
What do you think of setting up Donation Box so that we could contribute financially to this project? I think some money could help speed up the development especially could use the money to outsource some part of the project?
Just out of curiosity, which of the features mentioned not yet being implemented?
Many of those features are already implemented ;-)
I talked with wtoman some time ago and we did have some ideas of how to make ppl notice more the engine (making a couple of tech demos/benckmarks is always an easy way to marketing) but neither him or I have the time.
What nGene really needs atm is more developers using the engine, correcting the bugs, making changes to the engine interface, etc…(basically "maturing" the tech)
In terms of features what I think it really would need is some serious refactoring in order to totally decouple modules like PhysX.
Here's a link to a work done by me and some colleagues for our games course: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/869000/flamey_xvid_001.avi
We used nGene for it, I think that wtoman agrees with me when I say that nGene has never evolved so much in such small time period.
I don't know if that doesn't have to do with an old threading bug that wtoman was trying to correct…a really nasty one.
I guess that at the time it got fixed but I don't think that either him or me ever test it on Windows XP.
I don't think so.
Has this feature been implemented yet?
I found out that the Terrain editor (World Editor) runs really slow on the Windows XP. I think it need to be optimized further. Live editing and splatting would awesome edition to the existing Editor.
Would try to push nGene and would love to see the community grow. I think nGene has a lot of potential even to be used in commercially if more feature added and also improvement over existing features. Only thing is the nGene have been inactive for quite sometime now. I think nGene need is more active developer and user would come.
Hopefully can see the following feature (my wish list)
- utilizes the power of multi-core processors by performing tasks in separate threads, this includes: Game Updating, Physics Calculations, Data Loading and Sound Processing
- separating the Data Loading from the Game Updating which allows for smooth gameplay while travelling through vast areas of virtual worlds (loaded into the memory earlier in a background thread)
- Support for unlimited sized worlds
- Editing heightmaps, material and color painting
- Precalculating terrain ambient occlusion
- Placing objects with custom class and parameters, decals and foliage
- Setting walkable areas
- Creating lakes and rivers (drag and pull?)
- Previewing game from inside the editor
- Unsaved data recovery
- Undo support
- Multi-core optimized
DirectX 9/10/11 and OpenGL Support?
- DirectX 10 - Enables Alpha To Coverage
- DirectX 10.1 - Enables Multi-sampling in Deferred Renderer
- DirectX 11 - Enables Realtime Tesselation
More Rendering Options?
- Forward Rendering - for simple scenes with small amount of lights (perfectly only 1 directional light).
- Deferred Rendering - for complex scenes with big amount of lights.
Better Anti-Aliasing methods?
- Multi-Sampling (utilizing hardware anti-aliasing)
- Super-Sampling (performs anti-aliasing by rendering to a bigger sized viewport and then downsampling the content to the target viewport)
- Edge Softening (a fake anti-aliasing method, it increases the image quality by blurring the object edges.
Analytical Anti-Aliasing, works by reconstructing the edges from the rendered image)
Better Shader and Custom Shader?
- Flat, Normal, Parallax and Relief Bump Mapping
- Light Blooming, Glow
- Volumetric Lighting
- Volumetric Clouds, Layered Clouds
- Sub-Surface Scattering
- Grass and Trees Bending Animation
- Water (Ocean, Lake, Rivers)
- Sun (with Sun Rays)?
- Sky (Atmospheric Sky or Skybox)
- Particles (Fire, Explosions, Blood, …), Laser, Electricity
- Mesh Highlighting and Outlining
- 3D Holographic Images
- Screen Color Transformations
- 2D Effects (Subtitles Effect, Ripple, Image Fading, Wave, Radial Blur, Smooth Fading between screens)
Support for Networking?
- UDP / TCP Sockets (Based on RakNet?)
- Compression of Int, UInt, Flt, Angle values
- Compression of File Names even to 1 Byte
- Reliable TCP based Connection Class with Data Boundary Management and Encryption
- Fast UDP based Connection Class
- Connection Server Class for Automatic Management of Client Connections on the Server